Today's Sun-Times print edition reports on what must now be called the Miracle in Englewood. Urban Prep Charter School still has a 100% college-going rate with ALL 95 graduating seniors going to college!
Problem is, for the past few weeks, the orgy of happy-weepy media reports about the Urban Prep Miracle was that all 107 graduating seniors were going to college (see, for example, People Magazine, Good Morning America, "Urban Prep Named Person of the Week on ABC World News).
So, since their first self-promotional blitz, they've lost 12 students? And that's on top of the other 50 or so members of the class of 2010 who had also gone missing from the rolls since the school first opened, as PURE reported a while ago:
* According to the Illinois Interactive School Report Card, there were 166 freshmen enrolled in 2007, Urban Prep's first year. Of these original freshmen, the Tribune reports that 107 are graduating seniors. This yields an overall school graduation rate of 64%, or nearly 6 points lower than the average district rate of 69.8%.
* Just as they struggled as entering freshmen, as reported by the school's founder, many of these graduates will likely struggle in college given the school's composite state high school examination results of 15%, compared with the Chicago average of 28%.
With these new figures, the overall graduation rate at Urban Prep goes down to 57%. So, it begins to look more and more as though Urban Prep's real "accomplishment" is refusing to graduate any senior who has not been accepted into college…
- Single schools
- Authorizers, clusters, CMOs, EMOs, etc.
- Charter school studies, reports
- Funny business
- The Master Plan
- Gulen charter schools 101 + webinar video
- The Gulen Movement & its schools in the news
- Gulen-linked charter school enrollment in 2014-2015
- List of Gulen-linked charter schools in 2016-2017
- Texas Gulen charter schools 2017-2018
Urban Prep Academy Charter High School
IT'S A MIRACLE! URBAN PREP LOSES MORE STUDENTS, STILL HAS 100% COLLEGE-GOING RATE!, July 9, 2010, Chicago K-12 Examiner