- Single schools
- Authorizers, clusters, CMOs, EMOs, etc.
- Charter school studies, reports
- Funny business
- The Master Plan
- Gulen charter schools 101 + webinar video
- The Gulen Movement & its schools in the news
- Gulen-linked charter school enrollment in 2014-2015
- List of Gulen-linked charter schools in 2016-2017
Indiana Math and Science Academy
NOTE: The Indiana Math and Science Academy has been identified as a Gulen charter school.
Indiana has two known Gulen schools; both are in Indianapolis.
Indiana Math and Science Academy – West was originally called IMSA – Indianapolis. It opened in 2007 and was authorized by Ball State University.
Indiana Math and Science Academy – North is due to open fall 2010 (press release HERE) and was authorized by the Mayor of Indianapolis Charter Schools Office (ed.gov explains this is “the only mayor's office in the country granted the power to authorize charter schools by the state charter law.”)
In the original application, this school was called IMSA – East. Click HERE to view the document.
These schools entered into contractual agreement with Concept Schools for their management. Concept Schools was started by Turkish educators, and has recently expanded to become Concept Schools International and is opening up a school in Al Ain, the fourth largest city in the United Arab Emirates.
This is the founding group for IMSA – North:
1. Bilal Eksili: Executive Director of the Holy Dove Foundation in Indianapolis (“…a Muslim organization inspired by Fethullah Gülen's teachings…” ; former Community Outreach Director for the Niagara Foundation in Chicago (an organization with Fetullah Gulen as its “honorary president”); former manager of ANT Travel and Tours (“…the innovative approach for travel in Turkey…”)
2. Kazim Eldes: Indiana Regional Vice-President of Concept Schools; former principal of IMSA, Contact person and tour guide for Holy Dove Foundation trip in 2005.
[NOTE: The 2007 Form 990 for the Holy Dove Foundation Inc (EIN 203698256) lists three officers: Kazim Eldes, Numan Koca, and Turgak Faki. Bilal Eksili is listed as a manager.]
3. M. Murat Dundar: Assistant Professor, Computer & Information Science Department, Purdue University, School of Informatics, Indiana University
4. G. John Aytekin (AKA Gulpekin Aytekin, sometimes spelled “Gultekin”): Former teacher at Wisconsin Career Academy and Horizon Science Academy, Columbus (OH). WCA and HSA schools are Gulen schools.
5. Salim Ucan: Vice President of Concept Schools, Inc.; founding principal of Chicago Math and Science Academy; former principal of Science Academy of Chicago; former teacher at HSA Cleveland. Each of those institutions are Gulen schools.
6. Tim Nation: Executive Director of the Peace Learning Center. From the Gulenist Web site Hizmet Movement: “…Executive Director Tim Nation says Gulen’s work to promote interfaith dialogue and community service makes him an excellent peacemaker… I would like to thank Fethullah Gulen for inspiring on educating people to reach out to people of other faiths and other backgrounds because if we don’t go outside of our community and we don’t go outside of our religion that’s were the problems come. It is so much easier to have an enemy that you don’t know than enemy who you do know.’”
7. Jeanette Kay Moody: Founder of Literacy for Life, LLC; Kay Moody wrote the following:
“At the age of fifteen, our son, Henry lived in Istanbul, Turkey, for a year as an exchange student. Later he majored in Turkish studies in college. While living in Turkey, Henry stayed with a family who had a son, Mustafa… Our family went to our Turkish son’s wedding and met his parents and his beautiful bride.”
8. Kent Millard: Senior pastor at St. Luke’s United Methodist Church; two grandchildren attend IMSA; traveled to Turkey twice on Holy Dove Foundation hosted trips. Photos show Bilal accompanying the 2010 trip. Kazim Eldes was the tour leader of the 2005 trip. The Holy Dove Foundation paid for all expenses of the guests, except airfare.
9. Linda Pratt: VP for Development and Membership of the Indiana Historical Society; member of St. Luke’s United Methodist Church; traveled to Turkey on the 2005 Holy Dove Foundation hosted trip guided by Kazim Eldes.
10. Nancy Spohn: Member of St. Luke’s Methodist church; traveled to Turkey on the 2005 Holy Dove Foundation hosted trip guided by Kazim Eldes.
11. Patricia A. Bacon: HR person @ ExactHire; member of St. Luke’s United Methodist Church
Read about the American enablers HERE.
Read about Concept Schools HERE.
The 2007 Form 990 for Indiana Math and Science Academy Indianapolis Inc (EIN 205751308, ruling date 2007) shows that Millard is president, Moody is VP, Numan Koca (Holy Dove Foundation board member) is treasurer, Bacon is secretary; Pratt, Nation and Spohn are the remaining members. The form is signed by John Aytekin. This listing is atypical of most Gulen schools because of the number of non-Turkish members.
NCCS also lists an Indiana Math and Science Academy Gary Inc (205751288, ruling date 2007), but no 990s are posted.
H1B visas applications for Indiana Math and Science Academy-Indianapolis Inc
2007 – 2
2008 – 4
2009 – 11
Three year total for one school (remembering that IMSA - North does not open until fall 2010) – 17
Number denied – 2
Evidence of the affiliation between the Gulen Movement and the Indiana Math and Science Academy is found HERE.
Additional information is at “FBI Investigating Gulen Charter Schools: Gulen Leaders Lavish Gifts And Dinners on Mitch Daniels and Other Indiana Officials.”